A person who first acquired a piece of land probably not only wants to make a beautiful design on the site, but also to plant some edible plants that will delight the heart and stomach. If you plan the planting correctly, you can get a decent harvest of tasty plants in the first year and even stock up on surplus fruits for the winter.
How to choose a place for landing
- Most vegetables require a sunny area and no strong wind. The longer the exposure to sunlight with proper watering, the larger and juicier the harvest.
- The best vegetable garden is produced in areas that are not prone to natural disasters such as floods. Therefore, plan a site on an elevated position if the region is located next to major rivers.
- There must be a water source nearby. Plants die without regular watering.
The size of the garden should not be too large. Since the plants are planted in rows, the average row width should be about 70 cm, and the length should be 6 to 12 meters. If you don’t want to devote too much time to working on the beds, then make them no more than 8 meters long. It is better to make beds with sides 25-30 cm high made of strong boards – this way the soil will not stain the paths, and it will be more pleasant to look after.
The best composition for most soil plants is loam – a mixture of clay and humus. The plant’s nutrients will be taken from fertilizers. The soil must be dug up and fertilized at least once a year. It is better to remove weeds immediately – as they grow, and if you mulch the soil in a timely manner, especially under berry bushes, then there will be almost no weeds at all. Sawdust, humus, old newspapers, peat, spruce branches are suitable as mulch. But you should never use last year’s leaves, they can be pests.
You should start planting seedlings or seeds only after spring frosts.
A few important points for planting and grooming
- Plant plants so that the shade of tall crops does not interfere with low crops and does not take away the sun. Raspberry bushes at the fence, and lettuce crops, strawberries in the center. Peas can be placed on low trellises.
- It is best to use purchased healthy seedlings first. This will make it faster and easier to get the first harvest. Subsequently, it is more profitable to buy seeds and germinate them yourself.
- It is necessary to water the garden rationally, without flooding the plants with water, but also without leaving the roots dry. Under raspberry bushes in the first year of planting, it is necessary to pour 7 liters of water several times a week. The soil should look moist, but the planting should not float in water.
- In the first year, it is good to plant different plants, including berries, in order to gain the necessary experience in cultivation and to understand which plants do best on this particular land.
- It is better to deal with pests with folk methods, such as solutions of tobacco, ash and mulching. Chemical protection should only be used if gentle methods have failed.
Top 10 vegetables to start with
- Tomatoes or cucumbers
- Zucchini or zucchini
- Various types of salad
- Sweet and hot peppers
- Peking cabbage
- Beans and peas
- Green species: dill, basil, tarragon, parsley and others
A planting plan can be drawn in advance on paper or on a computer, estimating the size of the space for each type of plant.
When planting, plants are treated with accelerated growth stimulants. You can also pour ash and fertilizer mixed with soil directly into the root holes.
Green vegetables and various types of lettuce ripen the fastest, so they should be planted and sown very first, they can be harvested in a month or a month and a half. Therefore, you can get two crops per season.
Tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberry bushes should be planted with a step between crops of 20-25 cm, so they will not shade each other. Perennial berry crops: raspberries, currants, gooseberries should be placed along the perimeter of the site, near the fence, also leaving 30-50 cm of free space between them.
If you treat the breakdown of the garden correctly and with love, then well-groomed plants will delight you with a rich harvest.