Landscape style, natural, naturgarden, eco-garden is one of the most demanded in landscape design. The popularity of this trend was led by the desire of summer residents to create an untouched corner of nature around them. In the landscaped garden, you will not find exotic plants planted in a bizarre way. The landscape-style plot repeats the outlines of the usual terrain as naturally as possible. To achieve this, it is necessary to competently approach the choice of plants, the scheme of their planting and the decorative design of the garden.
- Over 490 color photographs and illustrations provide inspiration and direction for constructing water garden structures
- Easy step-by-step sequences and instructions for pond foundations, moving-water features, pond cleaning, troubleshooting, and more
- Practical advice on every consideration of planning your water garden—size, style, light, location, climate, slopes, materials, configuration, and more
- All types of home water gardens are covered, from naturalistic to formal, plus fountains, waterfalls, streams, and bog gardens
- Aquatic plants, fish, and other pond inhabitants are covered in depth, from koi, tench, and frogs to herons, dragonflies, and snails, plus which nuisance insects to be on the alert for
Natural garden: features and benefits of landscape style
The landscape-style plot is a garden, the design of which is as close as possible to natural nature.
In such a garden, all the plants are arranged in random order, there are no straight and clear lines, plants from the same region are planted.
5 pluses of landscape style
The most versatile style: suitable for areas of any shape, size, purpose. It is used in the design of estates, public parks, squares, business centers, open areas near cafes and restaurants. All existing elements of gardens are designed in a landscape style – children’s, sports and playgrounds, orchards, a recreation area and barbecue, ponds, flower beds and mixborders, etc.
The landscape garden has many vantage points. Due to the fact that all the landings and decorative elements seem to intersect with each other, many beautiful places are created, where additional recreation areas with hidden benches and intricate walking paths and paths are located.
The landscape style exploits the full potential of the territory. If there are hills, irregularities, adult plants, then all this is preserved, emphasized and played out as much as possible. The person is required only to slightly correct the landscape.
A landscape garden is easy to create without the need for a landscaping specialist. Eco-garden requires little maintenance, it can be created in a small area using scrap materials
Contemplation of a landscaped garden relieves tension and gives peace. A modern person living in vertical boxes of megalopolises needs it very much.
Features of a natural garden
1. Minimal care
A low-maintenance garden forms its own self-sufficient ecosystem over time. But this does not mean that he does not need care at all. Over time, the plants will grow, and the most aggressive ones will “kill” the neighbors.
- You need to intervene and put things in order in time:
- harvest dry branches and dead plants in spring,
- periodically weed and clean the pond.
2. Use of local natural materials and improvised means
All materials are taken from the area where such a garden is being built.
All wooden structures are not painted with paint, but are sanded and covered with several layers of colorless varnish or a natural wood stain.
3. Smooth lines that repeat the whimsical natural landscape
You can’t see the “human hand” – everything looks like in nature.
The natural landscape has not been changed – everything is built on an already existing base.
4. Plants that grow in a given region and a particular local
- Plants should be of soft colors.
- The main plants are field, forest or coastal.
- Among such plantings, garden plants are planted that harmoniously combine with them.
Plants for the garden in a natural style
The choice of plants depends on the natural area where your site is located. Observe the plants in the meadow and forest and experience the natural range.
Typical backyard ponds are a complicated mess of pipes, pumps, filters, and nasty chemicals designed to adjust pH and keep algae at bay. Hardly the bucolic, natural ecosystem beloved by dragonflies, frogs, and songbirds.
The antidote is a natural pond, free of hassle, cost, and complexity and designed as a fully functional ecosystem, ideal for biodiversity, swimming, irrigation, and quiet contemplation.
Building Natural Ponds is the first step-by-step guide to designing and building natural ponds that use no pumps, filters, chemicals, or electricity and mimic native ponds in both aesthetics and functionality.
Anything that grows in forests and in coastal areas of rivers is suitable:
- Birch tree,
All that grow in the wild.
Cultural species will do:
- elderberry black,
- rose hips, etc.
All that are found in the wild:
- siberian prince.
All forest, meadow and coastal wild plants.
Suitable from garden:
- oriental poppy and samoseyka,
- filamentous veronica,
- perennial aster,
- gray fescue,
- reed grass,
- sage, etc.
There should be only wild species:
- bulbous irises,
- wild garlic,
- daffodils, tulips.
Landscape design elements for landscape style
In the landscape style, all of the possible elements of landscape design are applied:
Water bodies – streams, ponds, waterfalls, cascades, etc.
When arranging a natural garden, consider the presence of an inhabited reservoir with natural banks.
All elements should look only natural, form beautiful coastlines, with plants characteristic of such places.
Small architectural forms are also used in such compositions: wooden bridges over a stream, gazebos made of natural materials, handicrafts from natural, improvised means, such as birdhouses, feeders, drinkers, etc.
The pond is inhabited by inhabitants – water lilies, duckweed, algae, small fish, all other “inhabitants”, feeling the water, will appear by themselves – dragonflies, frogs, snakes, hedgehogs, etc.
Mature trees and undergrowth
Trees in the natural garden are planted forest or the most common in the region. Exotics are not allowed.
They land in random order.
You can plant a small grove, if the site allows, you can plant a single specimen.
All plantings are complemented by flowers and low-growing shrubs typical of this region.
Fence and hedge
The fence is made only from natural materials – untreated boards, willow, wooden picket fence.
Sometimes they create compositions from a dilapidated stone wall entwined with ivy or other plants. Can be replaced with a hedge.
The division into zones and fence of the fence can be done from a hedge. For her, the most unpretentious shrubs are used, which will require a minimum of attention.
This companion book to Natural by Design: Beauty and Balance in Southwest Gardens concentrates on over two hundred plants, individually photographed and profiled. The key to any successful garden is knowing the plants, the conditions that nurture them, and the care that must be taken in their propagation, cultivation, transplanting, and pruning. Knowing the native and adaptive plants of the region and how best to use them in the landscape will enable the gardener to create gardens of self-sustaining beauty.
Natural style hedge shrubs:
- lilac, etc.
The lawn is arranged from grasses already growing on the site, or Moorish is sown.
The lawn should look like a lawn.
A Moorish lawn is well suited, which will delight the owners with its new look every year.
The lawn should have natural, uneven boundaries and may be located on a hillside.
Paths and platforms
The paths are made without borders and only from natural materials. They should have smooth outlines – there are no straight lines in nature.
To decorate paths in a natural garden, use:
- flat stone,
- wood, plank flooring,
- lawn grass,
- irish moss,
- larch cuts, etc.
Concealed lighting or lamps in a classic form are used.
Furniture and buildings
You can equip the garden with benches, gazebos and other necessary little things. They are made of wood with the inclusion of forged elements, stumps, snags, vines, logs, branches and other natural materials.
Furniture should be brutal and a little rough.
The gazebo can be replaced by an ordinary hut.
Retaining walls without the use of cement and other human achievements.
Bridges and railings for them are made from scrap materials: willow vines, rough logs and planks, curly branches.
Bird feeders, birdhouses and drinkers are made of natural materials (branches, driftwood, stumps, vines) of an unusual curved shape.
10 tips on how to make a landscape garden with your own hands
Luxurious gardens in landscape style are obtained on large plots of 1 hectare and more. But even on 10 – 15 acres you can create such beauty.
No chemicals are used to maintain the natural garden.
If a disease or parasite appears, use only folk, biological and environmentally friendly methods of struggle
1. A natural garden will turn out even in a small area where there will be “civilization”, unpretentious garden plants and furniture made of modern materials “like a tree or ecotang”, in a neutral natural color.
2. Paths, lawns, flower beds, mixborders, reservoirs must have uneven, winding shapes.
3. There should be no “clipped” plants: everything grows by itself, in a chaotic manner.
4. Flowers do not need to be matched by color or shape. Flower gardens should be variegated, pleasing to the eye and contain many types of a given area.
5. Plants are planted close to each other, even if the taller ones cover the undersized ones, then this is considered normal.
6. A terrace should be erected near the house, which will be a kind of “gate” to the garden.
7. Window sills, porch, terrace and buildings need to be decorated with flowerpots with home or annual bright flowers. All types of pelargonium, ivy, etc. will be appropriate here.
8. In the landscape garden there should be no rockeries, rock gardens, boulders and decorative stones. The only exception can be the presence of natural rock, where nature itself dictates the creation of something “like that”.
9. In a natural garden, various functional zones smoothly flow into one another, creating the illusion of a landscape as untouched by the human hand as possible.
Avoid making monumental brick and wrought iron barbecues in the barbecue area.
The original publication of Planting the Natural Garden ushered in a revolution in landscape design: the New Perennial Movement. Spearheaded by internationally renowned designer Piet Oudolf, and incisively articulated by the late plantsman and designer Henk Gerritsen, it transformed private and public spaces with its emotionally resonant, naturalistic use of hardy perennials and grasses.
Make brutal stone BBQ areas where everything looks like it’s on a camping trip.
For example, a fireplace made of bricks or boulders. The place near the fire can be sprinkled with rubble or small pebbles.
10. Do not leave the landings “on their own”.
Plants compete with each other, and the stronger and more unpretentious over time displace the weaker species. Therefore, it is necessary to periodically thin out heavily overgrown, more aggressive plants, you can sow new species, thus preserving the attractive appearance of flower beds.
The basic rule of landscape gardens is that they should look “unkempt”, as if all this was created by nature itself without human intervention!